Public Relations Manager
CU Presents welcomes applications for a Public Relations Manager. This role will be responsible for media relations, writing, editorial, social media and general promotion of CU Presents (including the Artist Series, Eklund Opera, Holiday Festival, Takács Quartet, Colorado Shakespeare Festival, Department of Theatre and Dance and ticketed College of Music events). As a PR Manager, you will implement public relations plans, write stories, edit publications, oversee social media efforts and manage website content. This position reports to the Director of Marketing and Public Relations, and works collaboratively with the Publications Manager and Marketing Manager, as well as the Associate Director of Communications, who manages PR for the College of Music.
Who we are
The University of Colorado Boulder is the state’s flagship institution. CU Presents promotes performing arts on the University of Colorado Boulder campus. We present more than 100 ticketed events every year, as well as numerous educational and outreach events. CU Presents includes the Artist Series, Colorado Shakespeare Festival, Eklund Opera, Takács Quartet, CU Theatre & Dance, Holiday Festival and other College of Music events. CU Presents welcomes more than 80,000 patrons to its events every year.
What your key responsibilities will be
- Gather and update artist and faculty bios, photographs and production summaries for use on the website, programs and brochures
- Oversee production of and edit content for program books
- Write general interest stories for program books
- Develop and maintain text style guides
- Produce weekly PR reports outlining top-level trends and concerns for CU Presents and partner organizations’ leadership
- Proofread written content
Organic Social Media and Website Content Management
- Post to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and monitor analytics
- Educate CU artists on social media and promotional best practices
- Participate in cupresents.org management team
- Update and manage web content (copy and photos) on a regular basis
- Produce weekly social media reports outlining top-level trends and concerns for CU Presents and partner organizations’ leadership
- Hire and supervise student employees working in this area
- Draft press releases for CU Presents events as needed
- Arrange interviews between media writers and artists/directors/faculty
- Act as liaison between partner organizations’ leadership and performers and members of the press
- Liaise between CU Presents and University Communications
- Arrange and oversee promotional photo shoots
What you should know
This position requires occasional evening and weekend work.
What we can offer
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, English, marketing or arts administration OR professional experience in arts management may substitute for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
- Professional experience writing content for publications and the web.
- Self-motivated with excellent organizational skills, and demonstrated proficiency in prioritizing work assignments to complete work accurately and in a timely and independent manner
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience managing public social media channels
- Experience in media relations
- Extensive editing experience
- Familiarity with working at the University of Colorado
- Knowledge of best practices for website design and management
- Knowledge of theater, dance, and/or music
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.