Currently Seeking: 2019 Colorado Shakespeare Festival Technical Director
The Colorado Shakespeare Festival, a professional theatre company in association with the University of Colorado Boulder, seeks a highly experienced Technical Director for the 2019 summer season. Applications are being accepted now through December 14, 2018.
This is a fee-based scope of work contract and includes:
Offsite Pre-Production Advancement: Jan. 3 – May 10, 2019
Remote participation in production and design meetings, scenic bid process, construction drawings, crew hiring, as described below.
Onsite Production Season in Boulder, CO: May 14 – Aug. 18, 2019
Management of scenic construction, load-in/load-out, changeovers, maintenance, crew supervision, as described below.
- Oversee scene shop operations for four-show season in two theatres including planning, build, load-in, repertory changeovers and maintenance of scenery / props throughout the season.
- Creation of all scenic shop drawings.
- Consult with Production Manager on technical and budgetary feasibility of designs, realization of designs within budget and scheduling, supervising build, installation, rigging, and strike of sets, safety training and oversight, maintenance of shop and equipment.
- Work with the Production Manager to ensure deadlines are met within budget and time constraints.
- Supervise and direct two Assistant Technical Directors.
- Supervise and instruct production crew and interns on theatrical skills and best practices.
- Perform skilled carpentry work through the use of a variety of materials related to the construction of theatrical scenery as needed.
What we require
- BA/BFA in Theatre, Technical Theatre, Theatre Production or comparable professional experience.
- AutoCAD and/or Vectorworks proficiency to produce clear working drawings for shop staff.
- At least three years professional experience and/or advanced training in stage carpentry, welding, rigging and safety.
- The ideal candidate will have strong collaboration, communication and technical skills and be able to maintain high quality standards, safe and supportive work environment while working on tight timeline.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive a 26’ box truck.
What we’d like you to have
- Teaching/mentoring experience.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and may include housing and travel for qualified non-local candidate. To apply please submit resume with references by Dec. 14 to the CSF Production Manager at email@example.com.
No phone calls, please.