Virtual Shakespeare & Violence Prevention
The Colorado Shakespeare Festival invites you to view a performance of an abridged Shakespeare play (filmed at the Mary Rippon Outdoor Theatre), and work with the actors in a virtual theatre workshop.
Do you ever feel the need to help when you see mistreatment, but you aren’t sure how to do it in a safe and productive way? How can Shakespeare’s plays give us the tools to make our communities safer, healthier, and more empathetic? Join us for this special, one-time event to explore these questions together!
“And I say there was never man thus abused!”
Watch an abridged Shakespeare play (filmed at CSF!) and join the actors for an hour-long workshop connecting the performance to how you can be an Upstander in your community.
The Colorado Shakespeare Festival’s Shakespeare & Violence Prevention program is a partnership with the Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence. Based on the latest violence prevention research, we’ve paired two of Shakespeare’s plays with a curriculum based in SEL and conflict management. Typically available only for school groups, CSF is offering two age-specific workshops for interested students. Participants will view an abridged performance, then participate in a 50-minute virtual workshop with the actors. They will explore the patterns of violence in the play, and roleplay their own solutions, practicing ways to move from a “bystander” role, to an Upstander!
- Tuesday, December 14, 2021 from 4:00pm to 5:00pm: Grades 3 through 5 (prior to the workshop, we will share a link to view a 35-minute film of Twelfth Night)
- Wednesday, December 15, 2021 from 4:00pm to 5:00pm: Grades 6 through 12 (prior to the workshop, we will share a link to view a 45-minute film of Julius Caesar)
Price: $25.00 per person
What does my ticket include?
- Link to view the performance (via password-protected website)
- Zoom link for one spot in the actor-led workshop
- Comprehensive study guide with curriculum ideas, violence prevention research, and plot / character descriptions (available in English and Spanish)
- Pre-recorded, condensed version of the workshop (available for students unable to attend the synchronous workshop)