2023 Colorado Shakespeare Festival Audition Announcement
CSF will be accepting headshots and resumes for actors to be considered for live and video general auditions. We hold live general auditions each season in Boulder and Denver, Colorado, in addition to considering video auditions from qualified candidates.
Plays being produced in our 2023 season will be announced in late October 2022. Please visit our homepage at the end of that month for a complete list of productions.
CSF hires AEA and non-AEA actors on two- and three-show contracts.
- Tuesday, May 23 through Sunday, August 13, 2023 (outdoors)
- Tuesday, May 30 through Sunday, August 13, 2023 (indoors)
- Outdoor AEA Contract: $761.00 per week for twelve (12) weeks.
- Indoor AEA Contract: $739.00 per week for eleven (11) weeks.
- non-AEA contracts range between $200.00 and $600.00 per week depending on number of productions and understudy assignments.
- Internship and Apprenticeship ranges between $200.00 and $250.00 per week for eleven (11) or twelve (12) weeks.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR CONSIDERATION
- Applicant must have received Shakespeare training or equivalent experience.
- Applicant must have at least one (1) professional Shakespeare production credential or equivalent experience.
- Stage actor training at an MFA level or higher (or equivalent experience).
- Training and applied experience in stage combat.
- Dialect ability and fluency in languages other than English.
- Training and applied experience in singing of any style (jazz, folk, opera, choral, non-western, etc.).
- Training and applied experience in acrobatics and/or dance of any style (jazz, hip hop, aerial, tap, ballroom, etc.).
- Mid- to advanced-level training and applied experience in musical instrument performance of any type.
Unfortunately, CSF is unable to consider students at the undergraduate level who would require housing provided by CSF.
TO REQUEST AN INITIAL AUDITION
Headshots and resumes will be accepted starting September 19th, 2022, at 9am MDT through October 10th, 2022, at 5pm MDT for review. Please submit your materials via our online form for consideration. Audition requests should include the following:
- Your full name, preferred email address, and direct phone number.
- A PDF of your current headshot and acting resume (in one file).
- Your AEA status (AEA or non-AEA). Please include if you intend to join AEA prior to May 2023.
- Your preferred medium for auditioning, pending review of your materials.
- If you are requesting a live initial audition, please identify all immovable time restrictions (we will do our best to accommodate but cannot guarantee anything at this time).
- If you would need to travel from out of state to audition, please request a video audition.
- Date of final COVID-19 vaccination. Full vaccination (including applicable boosters) is required for CSF employment per University policy and AEA requirements.
If you have worked for CSF as an actor in the last three (3) seasons, and wish to be considered for the 2023 season, you do not need to do an initial audition. Please contact Kurt Mehlenbacher at email@example.com to inform us of your interest and you may be invited to callbacks, considered without any audition, or made an offer directly.
No phone calls, please. Submissions received prior to 9am on September 19th will not be considered.
The deadline to submit your pre-screening materials is Monday, October 10th, 2022 by 5pm MDT.
Invitations to attend the live initial auditions or submit a video audition will be sent out starting on Monday, October 17th, 2022 and continue through that week. An assigned audition slot and / or further instructions will also be sent out at this time.
Tuesday, November 1st — If invited to submit an initial audition video, the deadline to submit is 5pm MDT. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Saturday, November 5th — DENVER AEA initial auditions (9am to 5pm, by assigned appointment): Denver University Department of Theatre, Johnson McFarlane Hall (JMAC), 1903 East Iliff Avenue, Denver, CO 80210. Room TBD.
Sunday, November 6th — DENVER Non-AEA initial auditions (9am to 5pm, by assigned appointment): Denver University Department of Theatre, Johnson McFarlane Hall (JMAC), 1903 East Iliff Avenue, Denver, CO 80210. Room TBD.
Friday, November 11th — BOULDER CU Student initial auditions (3pm to 5pm, by assigned appointment): Department of Theatre & Dance W325, University of Colorado Boulder Theatre & Dance Building, Boulder, CO, 80309.
For live initial auditions, please bring with you one (1) hardcopy of your headshot and resume stapled together or printed back-to-back.
For all initial auditions, please prepare two (2) contrasting classical monologues, no more than two (2) minutes in length total (each piece should not exceed 1 minute in duration). One (1) monologue must be comedic, one (1) should be dramatic, and at least one of the two should be Shakespeare.
CU ACTING INTERNSHIPS
CSF will consider all THDN undergraduate students who audition for the 2022 season as an applicant for a CU Acting Internship. Students must be currently enrolled at the University of Colorado Boulder for Academic Year 2022/2023 (AY22/23). Please follow the above instructions to receive an audition appointment for Friday, November 11th to be considered for an internship. Please be sure to identify yourself as a CU student to ensure appropriate placement.
Live callbacks will be held in Boulder, CO on the University of Colorado Boulder campus on December 3rd and 4th, from 9am to 5pm. Notifications of a callback—both live and video—will be sent via email (with sides) starting November 14th. The deadline for video callbacks is Monday, November 28th, 2022 by 5pm MST.
The Colorado Shakespeare Festival is an equal opportunity employer and encourages actors of underrepresented groups to audition for our season. All ethnicities, ages, genders, and people with disabilities are welcome.